COVID-19 and How It Impacts My Life: Uganda Queer Short Stories - Desert Island Series

COVID-19 and How It Impacts My Life: Uganda Queer Short Stories - Desert Island Series

Nikita

The Desert Island Series are about COVID-19 and daily activities of life among the LGBTIQQ of Uganda. These are radical compositions countering deficit narratives used to justify othering, marginalization, externalisation and peripheralisation. This is an art of crafting, claiming and consolidating space for Queer persons to talk about, demand and recognise how they can promote self-determination and quality life. In the stories we celebrate innovations, executions and translations that culminate into lived realities and destinies.

Moderator and Interviewer: Tom Muyunga-Mukasa
Featuring: Any person willing to tell a story

Synopsis
Meet Nicholas, an adult male to female transgender (MTF) Ugandan-Kenyan. The father is Kamba (Eastern Kenya) and the mother is from Gisu (Eastern Uganda). Nicholas goes by the name Nikita and uses the following pronouns: she, her, it, they, their and them comfortably. The father is a retired pilot and the mother is retired Principal. Nikita is a graduate social worker and studied at Kitui Primary, St. Mary's School in Nairobi, King's College Buddo, the University of Nairobi and Makerere University. Nikita is a consultant in the social development areas, works with Kenya Red Crescent and Cross as a Coordinator in Nairobi's South C area; here she is sharing her struggles, tribulations, triumphs and lessons during COVID-19 restrictions.

Tom: Are you happy we are doing the Desert Island Series and please tell us about yourself? 

Nikita: Thank you. I have several names from Uganda and Kenya. I am Nicholas Mutisya Muema Mutaasa Kakungulu Muteesa Mwima.  It is a mouthful, right? ......

Tom: No!

Nikita: ......but every time I mention my names…..I say my names I feel a self-confidence pouring into me from everywhere. This is why I enjoy moments like these because they record down the things we wanna be known for and by.

Tom: A fun fact about you Nicholas..... (Interruption by a wave of hand...).

Nikita: I have known you since mid-20's when we came to Uganda to attend that HIV Implementers’ Conference.....boy! That was one picketing we did right in Kampala’s liveried centre. We need more of those spaces….hahahahaha…..you and your courteous regard! Call me Nikita please.....Nicky will do…… Do people know your Machiavellian-Chavez side? I was amazed at how you stood your ground when we were asked to leave the hotel premises………

Tom: ...Well...thank you....

Nikita: Fun fact.....oh, Tom! Where do you get these icebreakers? Anyway...I am transitioning into a woman, yes I am doing all my hormones diligently......I am the last born and have five older siblings. We are two boys and four girls. But, in actual fact we are now three girls and three boys……considering. I am male-to-female transgender. I enjoy a dual Kenyan and Uganda citizenship. I care for 22 orphans in Uganda. Well…... (Laughter...) ……. that is about it. 

Tom: You still have not told us why you are happy being here with us on this show!

Nikita: I am smiling, I dressed to kill, I smell so nice, I put on the longest eye-lashes....... for you.... I wonder are you a priest? You and your laid-back demeanour... You are a man’s man!

Tom: No actually you did not notice but I squirmed in my chair a little bit......hahahahaha.....

Nikita: Oh, there is a chicky side of you. Mmmmmmmhhh!!

Tom: Stop it, Nicky...

Nikita: I am so happy sharing with you. I have this feeling this is going to be a platform to be mined by many for an understanding of crisis, sexuality, orientation, gender and all those acronyms that are claiming space and poking patriarchy and giving precarious femininity or masculinity for that matter the kick somewhere I do not want to say here lest my mom brings the slipper down my rear!

Tom: Wow! Tell us a little bit about that moment in your childhood in school that made you aware of your sense of agency and autonomy.

Nikita: Whoa! I am going to love this, you ask questions differently........ (Silence...mulling over something)......

One day, when I was younger and about to complete Primary 8 in Kitui, I was asked to tell a story during a recital competition. I still remember that time vividly. I was nervous but at the same time brave.  You know that moment when both emotions fill your mind up and make your chest feel heavy. 

I did tell the story eventually and won the award. That opened up so many doors in my younger mind. It was as if I was a bird that had waited up to that moment to fly. When I discovered I could stand before crowds and wow them I never stopped.

I am skilled in craft-making, painting and drawing. Back in my Primary School days, I used to draw still life pictures which I used to donate and use for fund-raisers. So did I with paintings too. But, my best products were wooden or paper crafts that I made. At one time these ones fetched a lot of money that was used to pay for some of the money used for re-constructing a kitchen block at a school for orphans. That is when my passion for uplifting work was ignited.

I managed to go through Primary quickly and with flying colours. I was so studious that when the Primary Leaving results were sent back I was one of the best students in Kenya. An announcement was made over radio, with my name being among those mentioned and I got congratulatory messages. The next study paths were laid out neatly for me, so to say. I went to St. Mary's in Nairobi from where I went to King's College Buddo in Uganda. I then joined University of Nairobi, Makerere University for Post Graduate and Oxford for my PhD. I even taught at Makerere for a short while until I had to go for PhD studies.

Tom: Let us talk about COVID-19. What tip are you giving to families in their homes?

Nikita: We are now living under restrictions which in turn curtail our mobility, individuals at family or household levels need to do a self-assessment. One's position and station in life matters and sets the stage for the health promoting (or retrograding) practices/behaviours. It is our practices or behaviours that either expose or protect one against COVID-19 indeed. I read this somewhere in one of your blogs. By the way, you should write books, novels and articles. Grow with your talents. I just told you how my paintings, drawings and other craft-work can be used to contribute to uplifting others. I like the choice of articles in Kampala Gay Newsletter and Kampala Sexuality Journal. Keep up the good work.

Tom: Thank you Nicky...that is a work of love! How is COVID-19 affecting you or your work in anyway?

Nikita: By the way COVID-19 has made me busier and better focused. We are providing the timely emergency services and I feel so fulfilled. First, because the Red Cross/Crescent is in an enviable position to address emergencies and so we are doing what we were modeled to do. It is our niche. Secondly, I shared earlier about my own private charity work. We had to find homes in which to put the orphans I am caring for in Uganda to ensure social distancing.  Thanks to my mothers' relatives. All the children are well cared for.  The Kakungulu bloodline is a saving grace too.  Thirdly, I had to make sure I stocked my hormones and other female/transgender hygiene or health materials. This is how much COVID-19 is giving us a push to look at life differently from how we would pre-COVID-19 days.

Tom: We are about to wind up. This being Desert Island we give you a chance to choose an activity to do were you to find yourself in isolation but with all the comforts one needs in life. Also give a last tip to our readers on COVID-19 prevention.

Nikita: Aahhhhhhhh! You are crazy Tom! 

Tom: Yes, and I have also been told I am mad!

Hahahahahahahaha!

Nikita: Not only are you crazy you are mad too! Well, listen who is calling the other crazy and mad. I have been called that lots of times I lost count! If I were to be at the Desert Island, I shall want to have my paint brush and all other materials I could use to illustrate all the Kampala Gay Newsletter articles. Oh! The last piece.........Come on wash those hands……. all body parts with soap. Stay safe, stay home.

Tom: Thank you so much Nicky, I hope you will like us to make more series of this with you?

Nikita: Yes, anytime baby, anytime..... Cheers!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexual and Reproductive health Is Business You Should Mind About!

Celebrating International Day of Living Together In Peace,16th May 2020

Most At Risk Populations' Society in Uganda ( MARPs in Uganda) Joins Other African Grassroots-Based CBOs To Promote Child Well-being Campaigns For 30 Days